Witheridge had spoken of having their own Town Crier for many years, and in 1927 "Penwiper" wrote in the Gazette "Witheridge needs a Town Crier". In 1990, the then Chairman of the Parish Council, Miss Peggy Miles, was instrumental in getting our Ancient St John's Midsummer Fair restarted, and for this, it was felt that having our own Town Crier would at a little colour to the event. The Fair had not been held since before the Second World War, and traditionally the fair was "held annually on the Eve, Day and Morrow of the Feast of St John the Baptist," and is now held on the nearest Saturday to the Feast of St John which occurs on the 24th June.

Those involved in organizing the Fair in 1991 arranged a competition for the 14th June at which they would choose a suitable candidate. The judges appointed for this task were Freda Tout and Joan Pearce, and one Frank Housam eventually was chosen as the Witheridge Town Crier. Upon learning that there was to be a competition that afternoon in South Molton for Town Criers, Frank travelled over to see what he could learn about being a Town Crier. Whilst there he met the late Arthur Scoins, who had been the Town Crier at South Molton for over thirty years, and was a mine of information. Frank also had the opportunity to meet twenty five other Town Criers entered in the competition. He also found that as he had been officially nominated by the local council, he was entitled to join the Guild of Town Criers, and after completing the necessary formalities, he was duly accepted as a "Postulant" member for two years, after which he would become a full member.

One week later the village saw their first Town Crier, albeit in clothes borrowed from Steve Cunnliffe, who was the Town Crier at Dawlish. He was also a Tailor, and agreed to make the first set of Witheridge Town Crier robes in the colours chosen by the council, namely the green and gold of St John's Wort, the flower of St John. The first outing for Frank in the new robes was at Topsham Town Fair where he was favourably placed, and also won the "Best Dressed Crier" category. This in turn led to the World Championships in Shanklyn, Isle of Wight, where Witheridge was placed 23rd overall out of 107 entries, and 10th best dressed. In 1992 having gained more trophies, Witheridge acquired the right from the Ancient and Honourable Guild of Town Criers to hold the Devon County Championships at our Annual St Johns Fair. During the time that Frank has been Town Crier, he has represented Witheridge world wide, winning trophies in Canada, Australia, USA, amongst others. Frank Housam has also been granted the privilege of representing Witheridge until such time as he chooses to retire, and he is currently the Senior Town Crier in North Devon.

Top of Page

In 1994 a coach load of supporters went to Skegness and witnessed Frank and his late wife, Mary win three of the available trophies, namely "Best Dressed", "Conviviality" and "Media". Frank has been adopted by the National Caravan Club, of which he is a member, as parade leader and proclaimer for the British contingent at International Rallies throughout the world. In 1995, Roger Merit of Lincoln recorded the loudest cry at 106 decibels. Later that year Frank broke the record with 110.8 decibels, but it was not long before Roger regained the record with 112.4.

Frank and his late wife, Mary had a very successful record in competitions, and together won the best dressed couple in Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, and Staffordshire. They also won the British National Championships, and last year took Silver in the World Championship. Frank also won "The Armada Trophy" for the best Town Crier in the South West of England.

In 2005, the World Town Crier Championships were held in Maryborough City, Australia, and Frank and Mary attended to represent Witheridge. Situated some 3 hours drive north of Brisbane (the capital City of Queensland), Maryborough, which has a population of 26,000 is the dominant commercial centre for the surrounding local government areas of Woocoo; Tiaro and West Hervey Bay. First settled in 1847 and proclaimed a City in 1905, Maryborough was the port for wool, timber and sugar industries and the supply centre for the Gympie goldfields. Some 22,000 migrants entered Australia directly from Europe by sailing ship through the Port of Maryborough from 1859.

Mr Frank Housam

53 Apple Tree Close, Witheridge,

Devon, EX16 8AR

Charitable and Commercial Work Undertaken.
Also Entertaining undertaken as Morris Muggins, The Master of Murthfull Monologues

Member of THE ANCIENT AND HONOURABLE GUILD OF TOWN CRIERS.



Previous      Go to Top      Home      Text Version      Next Page

Last Edited 09/02/2010    Copyright © 2000-2010 Witheridge

Unless otherwise indicated on the page in question, the photographic images reproduced on this site belong to the Witheridge Historical Archives who produce this website. Whilst you are welcome to use any of the photographs belonging to the archive for personal or non- commercial use, you must obtain prior written permission for any commercial use. You cannot make use any material not owned by the Archive in any form without first receiving written permission from the owner of the material in question.